Monday, July 30, 2018

Dreaming of Home


I had a dream about Mona last night. I dreamed the nursing home called me and said they'd done some more tests and were able to determine that Mona wasn't getting enough sleep. So, they'd been working with her the past few nights and she was sleeping so much better that in another two or three days she'd be completely healed and could come home. That's how the dream ended.

It's not the first time I've had a dream like that. Several months ago I dreamed I was sitting in a chair in our front room when Mona walked in, again, completely healed. I was so happy I ran over to her and fell to my knees in front of her. I put my arms around her waist and placed the side of my face against her stomach. I was sobbing and I kept saying, "Mona, you're home. You're well. I can't believe it. Mona, you're home, you're home."

In the dream my first thought was to tell my daughters; I had to call them all immediately. But I thought they'd never believe it was true so I decided I'd get my phone and Face Time with them. I'd hold up my phone and show them, prove to them their mom was healed. I got up from my knees and ran to the table to get my phone but when I turned around Mona had a peculiar look on her face. Then she got very dizzy and lost consciousness and collapsed into a chair. The dream ended and I woke up.

There is some truth to these dreams. The concept of home plays a major role in both. In the first dream she actually is at home. In last night's dream she'll be home in two or three days.

I take great comfort in that. In knowing she'll be home soon. I'm not sure when soon is but I know where her home is. She told me more than five years ago that she was tired of fighting this, that she wanted to go home. I told her we used to live in Missouri but now our home is in Wyoming. "That's not what I mean," she said. "I want to go home with Jesus."

One of my favorite hymns is "Great Is Thy Faithfulness"

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.

In my dreams, Mona may be home only briefly. Jesus is calling her to a home that's eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment