Thursday, July 26, 2018

Finally, Unexpectedly Blossoming

Mona loved flowers and house plants. Our home in Missouri was filled with them. There were beautiful hanging vines in the kitchen and in each bathroom. She loved putting flower baskets on the back deck outside our dining room. She grew roses in our backyard. There must have been at least 50 small plants indoors at all times - in the front room, in the bedrooms, on small tables in the hallway. The only ones I could ever identify were her African Violets. Those were her favorites. 

When we moved to Wyoming six years ago she brought 15-20 small plants with her in our car. They filled the floor of the back seat. A dozen or so remained when she moved to the nursing home three years ago and while I’ve tried my best to take care of them only two are still alive. One is an African Violet she got in October of 2014. I’ve kept it watered and I remove the dead leaves but it’s never produced any flowers. 

Until this morning. 

About an hour ago I filled Mona’s small watering can and went to give it a drink when I saw the small bud among the leaves. I gasped and I stood there for a moment, overwhelmed. 


Emotionally messed up. 

Something Mona loved so much was finally, unexpectedly blossoming.

(originally posted on Facebook 7/21/18)

No comments:

Post a Comment